Short Reviews Compilation I

Short Reviews I (Subarashiki Hibi, Dies Irae)


Shorter Reviews from my normal stuff compiled in one easy to find package.




Subarashiki Hibi:

I don't smoke, but I feel like a cigarette after this. 

Subahibi is a very denpa story at times and is fairly surreal and uncomfortable at times. In the beginning, it asks you (metaphorically) whether you want to follow the March Hare down to Wonderland or remain in your Wonderful Everyday. Once you start your journey, it's a neverending barrage of madness and existentialism all the way to the end. And it's beautiful, stressful, unnerving, and at times depressing. Without going any further into spoilers, I do highly recommend giving this a read, it's a real page turner and the music is almost hypnotic at times. Though perhaps read or watch something a bit more light-hearted in between reads. 

[Highlight to view spoilers]
I sort of lied in the earlier paragraph to protect the spoilers. The main story outside of Down The Rabbit Hole I and End Sky 2 is pretty straightforward. By coincidence most of the other VNs I've enjoyed also had main characters with DID as a main plot point, be it a plot twist or not, so I was able to guess the main plot twist relatively early into my playthrough (Mamiya Tomosane being the true personality notwithstanding). Still, it was an interesting read even though I knew the truth behind most events (a combination of delusion and unreliable narrators). It's My Own Invention and Looking Glass Insects were pretty heavy. Not too sure what to make of Down The Rabbit Hole I and End Sky 2 aside from 4th Wall Breaks referencing how Subahibi is a remake/reimagining of Tsui no Sora and how the player is the one influencing everything.

Bullying is bad! Live Happily!

8/10

Dies Irae:


It's fine but god is it long winded. Battle scenes get really tiring to read in any given VN unless something is done to alleviate it (usually pre-battle and post-battle scenes are fun), and this has plenty of long drawn out battle scenes where for the most part, the MC is just pretty useless. 

Speaking of characters, I ended up liking all the antagonists, but man, the MC and the heroines are real bad. After my first route, I ended up speed reading through most of the scenes with them. 

The story is decently interesting, but as I said, the main cast ain't great, making it hard to go through. Ren is real useless for most of it up until the true route's final chapter's last moments. Though, the final chapter for all of the routes is real intense and where the chuuni-isms get ramped up and it's glorious to behold. Had constant grins throughout.

Also addendum, the H-scenes are pretty awkward. Having the guy speak constantly during them is a real turnoff for me. I ended up playing the non-H version (which had more story beats and the actual true ending) after seeing all the H scenes.

6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narumi Nitpicks: Judge Eyes

Narumi Nitpicks: SeaBed

Narumi Nitpicks: Xenoblade 2